name: International Chess ---
Class limit: 24
Restrictions: Ages 6 to 12
Time: 3:45pm - 4:45pm
This class is open for intermediate level and above chess players interested in learning advanced chess skills, having fun, and furthering their general cognitive development. Students are assumed to be experienced chess players — they play in a fast tournament against their classmates right from the start of each class. Homework will be assigned.
The way the class works is:
1) each kid in the class needs to use a laptop or PC/Mac running the Google Chrome browser. (Note: Chromebooks do not work).
2) each kid will have two windows open, their ChessKid account on the laptop running Chrome, and a Zoom window (which could also be on the laptop, or on a 2nd monitor connected to the laptop/PC, or on a separate phone/tablet—I use two monitors attached to my laptop).
3) I will arrange a ~5 round, ~6 minute time limit swiss format tournament to start at 3:50 pm. At the tournament start, all kids must be in the "Play vs Kid" window on ChessKid to be included (and must not be engaging in any other ChessKid activities).
4) Usually, the tournament finishes around the time the class is over.
5) For idle players (kids finishing a round before the rest of the group or unpaired players), I go over problems on ChessKid in a window shared on Zoom, or review a previously played game, or other chess activities.
Instructor: David West
Coach West grew up in NY, graduated public HS a top scholastic chess player, and received a STEM PhD from UC Berkeley.